From 24 to 26 November, Midlands UK Forum For Growth will convene global leaders and investors to showcase the region’s wealth of opportunities for sustainable growth, investment and collaboration.
This trade and investment showcase event is led by England’s leading pan-regional partnership, the Midlands Engine Partnership, and brings together key stakeholders to achieve the region’s vision for greater sustainable growth and economic prosperity.
The Midlands is home to almost 11 million people – more than Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales combined. Our region drives 22% of England’s exports and generates £239 billion for the UK economy each year – an economy the size of Denmark’s. The Midlands has seen significant growth over the past five years, but the potential for more is huge.
Sir John Peace, Chairman of the Midlands Engine, commented on what will be the region’s first totally virtual investment showcase:
Right now, as the world continues to fight Covid-19 and we all face our own regional and national challenges, we also have an opportunity … to build back stronger, better and greener. The theme for Midlands UK reflects this: ‘The Future. Ours to Make’. It recognises that, as part of fulfilling the incredible potential for growth in the Midlands, championed by the Midlands Engine, investment in sustainable infrastructure, our region’s businesses and our position at the heart of a green recovery are vitally important.
The Midlands UK Forum for Growth is a unique opportunity to bring together public and private organisations from the Midlands, along with international investors, to gain a comprehensive insight into the region’s strategy, policy and plans for sustainable growth: from infrastructure, investment and innovation, to skills and education, homes and communities, clean energy and technology. It gives local authorities, universities, businesses, government and investors an unprecedented opportunity to meet and develop relationships, collaborate and share best practice, and generate investment and new business on an international stage.
Communities Secretary and Midlands Engine Champion Rt Hon Robert Jenrick MP said:
A thriving Midlands Engine is essential to a successful UK economy, and will be vital to the recovery of the country from the pandemic as we all begin to build back better.
That’s why this government is backing the Midlands with the investment the region needs to grow its £250 billion economy. With the substantial financial support that the Government has provided, we can ensure that its businesses are able to fire on all cylinders and truly level up communities across the region.
As Midlands Engine Champion it is great to see how the partnership is promoting the wealth of investment opportunities the Midlands has to offer, both nationally and globally, as a region at the vanguard of our green recovery and the heart of the country’s transport and logistics.
The Midlands UK Forum for Growth is a three-day event held entirely on a digital platform, with delegates able to engage and interact with leaders from the region’s leading and most innovative public and private sector.
Midlands UK key objectives
- Improve public and private coordination, especially in the post-Covid-19 world
- Enable private and public collaboration to accelerate opportunities for skills, employment and innovation
- Provide insight into achieving inclusive and sustainable growth
- Examine the key investment and growth projects across the Midlands
Midlands UK themes
- Growth – Delivering sustainable and good growth
- Collaboration – The opportunities for better public and private collaboration
- The Future – Priorities for the future and building on success
Midlands UK keynote addresses
- Sir John Peace, Chairman, Midlands Engine
- Rt Hon Robert Jenrick MP, Secretary of State for Housing, Communities and Local Government
- DIT Minister TBC
- Andy Street CBE, Mayor of the West Midlands
- Plus 30 presentations and 15 panel discussions on topics including: the Commonwealth Games, HS2 infrastructure, Leicester Space Park, repurposing high streets and city centres, infrastructure for growth, cutting edge technology, skills and education, and future leaders.
Key participating organisations
- Midlands Engine
- The Department of International Trade
- British Property Federation
- Investors Property Forum
- 16 Midlands Combined and Local Authorities
- 68 leading organisations from the real estate industry
Midlands UK Forum for Growth is organised by Movers & Shakers Property Networking Forum. David Jennings, Chairman, Movers & Shakers, said:
With the pandemic and current economic challenges there has never been a more important time to highlight the scale of growth in the Midlands and the breadth of investment opportunities. The Midlands UK Forum for Growth is a three-day conference that we hope will present the right environment for collaboration and will showcase ripe investment and growth opportunities.