Imagine a region with connectivity second to none. A region of digitised businesses and exceptional digital skills. One where digital underpins our competitiveness – domestically and globally. And a region where there is no digital poverty, no digital divide.
Enabling smart public services and digitalised business is a key focus to drive regional competitiveness. Home to the UK’s first multicity 5G testbed, enabling 5G connectivity is worth £5 billion to the Midlands economy over the next five years and a further £15.9 billion over the subsequent five years.
Work across the Midlands Engine Partnership has delivered the first pan-regional connectivity map, tracking 4G, 5G and fibre + gigabit connections – a powerful evidence base to support faster infrastructure delivery, secure private and public sector investment, and drive digital levelling up.
The goals of Midlands Digital are to:
- Lead a shared ambitious vision for our future digital landscape
- Accelerate connectivity roll-out
- Attract inward investment in digital trials and technologies
- Lead and deliver the digital actions within the Ten Point Plan for Green Growth in the Midlands Engine
- Work to measurably reduce the digital divide in our region and close the digital poverty gap
- Accelerate digital for business to support development of future industries in our region
- Quantify and work to address the digital skills gap
- Underpin future regional competitiveness through digital connectivity
Midlands Digital is supported by two bodies who oversee its work and provide challenge and guidance on its activities:
Midlands Digital Strategy Board
Midlands Digital Steering Group
Discontinuous Innovation in the Midlands Engine