The Midlands Engine is the heartbeat of Britain’s economy
The Midlands Engine is a coalition of Councils, Combined Authorities, Local Enterprise Partnerships (LEP), Universities and businesses across the region, actively working with Government to build a collective identity, to enable us to present the Midlands as a competitive and compelling offer that is attractive at home and overseas.
Our partnership is about additionality, complementing the work of our partners to generate added value, at scale – right across the Midlands.
Home to over 10 million people and 800,000 large and small businesses, the Midlands has huge potential and the Partnership is focused on its global success – and this in turn will deliver an enhanced quality of life for our citizens and communities.
Our Vision for Growth sets out our five priority areas of focus to ensure the Midlands drives the UK economy:
- Connecting the Midlands through maximising new technologies to deliver a radical transformation of the Midlands transport network
- Tackling the mismatch between business skills needs and the skill levels of Midlands residents
- Growing International Trade and Investment in existing and new markets
- Increasing Innovation and Enterprise, creating an environment where our science and innovation strengths can be maximised
- And, Shaping Great Places by promoting the Midlands as a great place to live, visit, learn and work.
The Midlands Engine is backed by business and government leaders, who are proud to celebrate the region.
I believe we are now ready to very clearly and very loudly speak with one united voice on the world’s stage – The Midlands is the beating heart of UK manufacturing, we are the beating heart of the country and the home to global iconic businesses, we are a magnet for investment and we can deliver results which can drive forward the UK economy.
Sir John Peace – Midlands Engine Chairman
The success of the Midlands is not just important to me, it is absolutely vital to our mission to level up our regions, boost economic growth and ensure every city and town can benefit from the opportunities Brexit brings.